11 Aug 2012

Safe and Sound

This week my youngest boy has been away at music camp. He was so excited to be selected to go, and when my kids are happy and doing things that they love, I find their excitement contagious, but lets face it, I am a big sook and like all my chicks under my roof knowing where they are, knowing they are safe. I am not the type of mother who would wrap my kids in cotton wool and stop them from living life and having new experiences, but I am not ashamed to admit that I miss them when they are absent from the fold.
So this morning I woke with a smile knowing that he was coming home and that I would be able to give him a big squishy hug and get to see the performance of all that they had learnt whilst at camp.
Sadly this was not the case.....
Let me make it clear that our bus load of children are all ok and were not involved.
But sadly fate stepped in and there was a fatal accident on the highway that claimed the lives of a family of four and left a toddler fighting for his life. Such a tragic loss, a heartbreaking moment in time. My deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of these loved ones lost and hope that they can come together in their grief to comfort each other in this time of need. How do you cope with such tragedy ? I don't know that I could.

As this tragic accident caused such chaos on the road, it bought all traffic to a stand still. Our bus load of 12 year olds were amongst those unable to continue there journey home, and instead of being home within 2 hours, their trip turned into a staggering 11 hour stand still, unable to get home until the roads were cleared.
As the school had contacted me, I knew that my boy was safe and was being looked after, but at the same time being a mother separated from her child, I was still concerned and stayed by the phone eagerly waiting for any information.
Finally the call came and they were on their way. I can't begin to tell you how anxious I was sitting at the school waiting for that first glimpse of the bus, my nerves were shot, my heart racing, and as the bus finally turned the corner at 8.15pm parents sprung from their cars happy to at last have their babies home, safe and sound.


1 comment:

  1. That poor family. It's awful thinking of all the bad things that can happen when we send our kids out into the world. You just have to grit your teeth and put on a brave, positive face, don't you?

    ReplyDelete

AROUND HERE LATELY

Well hello there.... It’s been a while between blog posts, I needed time to gather my thoughts and to heal, both inside and out. Most of...