14 Aug 2012

Are your kids safe ? Do you know where they are ?

Parenting is far from easy, and everyone has an opinion on how best to parent. I don't think anyone has ALL the answers, and with so much information out there, it can become mighty confusing.

My question for you today :
Are your kids safe ? and how often, do you really know where they are ?

It's hard to keep track of kids, especially teens. I must admit, that since my boys have reached their teen years, my ears seem to pick up on more of the horror stories that appear in the news, and lately there seems to be a string of teens making these headlines, that have had some devastating endings. There are teens going missing, getting stabbed or doing the stabbing. Being bashed and becoming heavily involved in "gang" robberies. It breaks my heart to hear of these cases and unfortunately the first thing that comes to my mind is, Do these kids parents know where they are, and who they are with ?
I don't believe that any parent knows exactly where their kids are every second of the day, and frankly I don't think its humanly possible, I do believe however that there are a few ways to at least try, by getting to know your teen.
Try to keep the communication lines open, this  is crucial when parenting and is ever so important when your child becomes a teen. Listen to them, and in return, you may find that they will take the time to listen to your concerns. Show them respect, yes it works both ways and helps to keep a strong bond with your child. Get to know their friends and never hesitate to let them "hang out" at your place, and although it can be hard sometimes, try to keep an open mind, then maybe, just maybe, keeping an eye on our kids and knowing where they are and what they are up to, may become just that little bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AROUND HERE LATELY

Well hello there.... It’s been a while between blog posts, I needed time to gather my thoughts and to heal, both inside and out. Most of...