8 Jan 2013

Milestones, Heart Strings and Attitudes

Over the past few months, our family has experienced many milestones. And on Sunday our family will reach and celebrate yet another......

The youngest member of our family is having a birthday and turning thirteen. We are after all these years, leaving our "tween" times behind us for good, and will be surrounded by a house full of teens !

It's a moment that is pulling at my heart strings.

For him it's a big occasion, a moment in time that he has been on the count down to. New challenges, lots of changes and new beginnings as he prepares to enter High School in just a few short weeks. To him it's a definite sign of growing up, new adventures and a whole new world to experience.

For me, I am not ready. I don't want to let go of my "baby". In my past experience, once kids start High School, it seems as though before to long they shake off the last touches of being a"little kid" and enter into another whole new world of adolescence.

Attitudes with a capital A, that new found confidence that makes them ALWAYS right, Argumentative, and not to mention the fact that they think that house rules no longer apply to them. In fact its almost a step back in time to the "terrible twos" all over again.

I honestly don't think that I am fully prepared to go through it all again, I have had my head in the sand, been in complete ignorance that I was ever going to get to this stage again, in my mind my youngest child would stay just that, young, small, impressionable, mine. But alas that is not the case, the time is here all to quickly. Right under my nose he grew up and now its time that this mum must realise that its time to wake up, pull my head out of the sand and head into the horizon with a "can do, will do" attitude of my own......This fourth journey down the road of "teenagism" will not defeat me. It may not be a completely peaceful journey, but its one that I am going to face head on full of determination that only a mother possesses.

So my little one, as you begin this new journey in life, remember that not everything has to be a struggle. Remain true to yourself and shine. Be your own person and continue to follow your own path. There will be times when you will find yourself being led down a road into the unknown and when this happens, stop and think about how this could affect you ? Is it the right path for you to travel down ?

Life is a tough journey. We don't always make the right choices. No matter how old we get, or how much life experience we possess, things are thrown at us in the most unexpected ways. I want you to remember that no matter what happens, no matter what life throws at you, I am here. You are never to old to turn to your mum in times of need. That old attitude with that sneaky capital A need not come between us. We are family and family sticks together through the good times and the rough. Just ask those big brothers of yours, they are finally learning that parents are not "enemies" but here to guide you through life in the best possible way we know how.
Yes we will argue, we will disagree and have times when its best to leave each other alone to calm down before compromising on what ever issue is at hand.
You are a good boy, a sensible boy, continue on that path and your teenage years will be a magical experience that is filled with great joy and happiness....


Happy Birthday Ben




15 comments:

  1. Wow.... your YOUNGEST is 13... My eldest is 7... I have all this plus some to look forward to!

    I love the advice you have given Ben... 'Be True To Yourself' - I am only just understanding what this means NOW!

    B from #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying true to yourself is something that does come with age. I am trying to instill in my boys that by being honest with others and yourself is the first step in finding out who you truly are and helps keep you on a path of happiness. xx

      Delete
  2. I love this. My girls are only 7 & 9. I have time to take some notes. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh youngest is 13, my youngest is 2, part of me really would like to freeze time and keep us all at our ages now, though the 11 year could do with a rewind or a fast forward through some of that attitude you spoke of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wish that I could have frozen time to, it is both a happy triumphant feeling that we have made it this far in one piece LOL and a sad feeling that my baby years are now well and truly over....

      Delete
  4. Aww Bec : ( So beautifully put! Kids do grow up fast. I was only looking at his yr 7 photo last week & couldn't believe the change. High school definitely stole the boy I once knew too : ( But we still have many more different kinds of joys to share with our young men as they grow & mature. And I look forward to more of those good times & treasured moments in the future. As you have : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do grow up fast...and no matter what their age there is always heaps of fun to be had. I am finding it a little harder to watch the youngest take this next step, but I know that there is still a magical bond and more "grown up" fun things to share and explore together

      Delete
  5. I know it's hard to see them grow up, but I so enjoyed the teenage years of my two oldest sons. The older they got, the more discipline I could let go of and enjoy a friendship and have fun in each other's company. It's always another phase with kids. It's sad to see the younger years pass. Wish us moms could turn back time when we wanted.

    Happy Happy 13th to your youngest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying the teen years with my other 3 boys to, I think the fact that this is the baby of the family is why it is hitting home so hard....

      Delete
  6. Wow, a house of all teenagers. I can't imagine it! I won't go through it, either, really - one day I will have a 13 yo, 15 yo, and a 25 yo, all girls. But they will bring their own challenges. I am just a little in awe of mums of teenage boys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes WOW a house full of teens {help me} LOL it officially only lasts till July when my eldest turns 20 but for now I am hoping to enjoy the next 6 months of teenage fun and games LOL xx

      Delete
  7. I love your perspective merryway. I'm finding as my kids get older (10, 12, 14) there is so much that we can enjoy together. Even at the beach the other day I was enjoying being able to relax and not worry about having my eye on them every second - we can jump off the jetty and swim way out though. We're able to watch movies together and even share books occasionally. The attitude raises it's head at times too, but there's a lot to love.

    ReplyDelete

AROUND HERE LATELY

Well hello there.... It’s been a while between blog posts, I needed time to gather my thoughts and to heal, both inside and out. Most of...