5 Feb 2014

Hidden Passion

Everyone has something in life that they are passionate about, that drives them, that defines who they are. That consumes their very soul.

Obviously my family are my number one passion, they are responsible for making me who I am, and continue to surround me in the riches of life. Those who know me, are well aware that my family is my whole being, they keep my heart beating, they consume my entire world and without them I would be an empty shell.

As much as we are all passionate about the obvious, deep down I am sure that there is more to all of us then meets the eye. A deep passion that we may keep to ourselves, hidden away from our everyday lives. A passion that when we are alone and behind closed doors helps fulfill our inner being.

My love of poetry is not something that I often share. It is a hidden passion that I keep just for me, It brings me comfort when I am down, it helps cheer me up, it makes me laugh. It can fill the deepest hole, and fill me with the deepest love and respect.

Poetry is my hidden passion
A passion I don't even think my family are aware of.
A passion that is part of me and makes me, me !

The very first poem I remember learning was T.S Eliot's 'The Old Gumbie Cat' I was in year six and we were to perform/recite this poem on our school assembly.
I thought it was magical, and parts of it has stuck with me right through to my adult life........

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name 
is Jennyanydots;
Her coat is of the tabby kind, with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
All day she sits upon the stair or on the steps or on the mat;
She sits and sits and sits and sits-and that's what makes a Gumbie Cat.

This was my introduction to poetry and from that moment on my love for T.S Eliot poems has grown right along with me.

Poetry is reading between the lines, its personal, a connection. Its the joy of interpreting, a feeling, a deep passion within....

What it means to one could be entirely different to another. 

And that is the heart of a poem.

What is your hidden passion ?




beck xx

1 comment:

  1. I love poetry too! I was a speech and drama teacher for 15 years and taught kids of all ages. I even had one of my poems for children published! I have an entire section of my blog of very badly written poetry x

    ReplyDelete

AROUND HERE LATELY

Well hello there.... It’s been a while between blog posts, I needed time to gather my thoughts and to heal, both inside and out. Most of...